Thursday, October 31, 2013

#111: Smuttynose Brewing Co » Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale

A friend's last week at Felicia's is call for some fall celebration...


The Brewery: Smuttynose Brewing Co. (Portsmouth, NH)
The Brew: Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale
Availability: Bottles/Draft
ABV: 5.84% | IBUs: 35
Rating: 8/10
Location: Felicia's Atomic Lounge

The Story? With the cold northeast weather and end of October fast approaching - and presumably the onslaught of Winter Warmers and other holiday beers on their way, I've been looking to pack on the pumpkin brews this week.

My partner and I hauled down to Felicia's to say farewell to one of our bartender friends who is moving on to other cool things. Sandwiched between two drafts of Bronx Pale, I grabbed this Pumpkin Ale from a northeast brewery I admittedly don't give enough attention to - Smuttynose Brewing.

The Beer? This full-flavored seasonal is packed with tons of nutmeg and cinnamon. The mouth feel is in the mid-light range with a mid-high level of carbonation and is quite tasty - this immediately hits in my top 5 pumpkin beers.

I love how simple and refreshing this one is. There's plenty of spicy complexity supported by toasted malts and sweet, real pumpkin and never gets over the top or gimmicky. An easy, quality pumpkin brew.


No comments:

Post a Comment