Tuesday, October 22, 2013

#095: Vanberg & DeWulf » Lambickx (blended Lambic)

One of my favorites on draft...


The Brewery: Vanberg & DeWulf  (Belgium)
The Brew:  Lambickx (blended Lambic)
Availability: Bottles, draft
ABV: 5.75%
Rating: 10/10
Location: The Avenue Pub (New Orleans, LA)

The Story? I was first introduced to Lambickx at that fantastic beer tasting party last December. It came out late into the evening and though I'd had several sours, whiskey barrel aged stouts, and big Belgians, I still remember this one cutting through the palate. Returning home, I found it somewhat readily available, but weighting in around $30 a bottle, I usually pass.  However, seeing this on draft for well under $10 was impossible to turn down.

The Beer? This one starts off with a subtle, but bright funk on the nose, zero head, and fully translucent orange/gold in color.

I think the best way to relay what happens in this superb brew is that it shifts through three stages. The first is smooth, sour, and refreshing. Bright, pithy sourness rises up to fill out your palate for the second stage and finds it's final resting place with a biting funk finish.

As with most sours, this is going to depend on your palate, experience, and preferences. To me, this is just awesome. It's smooth and sour for a second and then it turns on you with a palate destroying, f**king dry finish and a densely bitter funk. Enough rind, pith, kumquat, and gnarly grapefruit to fill a room. This one is for the adventurous enthusiast.

No comments:

Post a Comment