Tuesday, October 29, 2013

#105: Ithaca Beer Co. » Valencia (Pale Ale with Belgian Yeast)

Another gem from the 5-Barrel series...


The Brewery: Ithaca Beer Company (Ithaca, NY)
The Brew: Valencia (Pale Ale with Belgian Yeast)
Availability: Draft Only (5-Barrel Series)
ABV: 5.7%
Rating: 8.7/10
Location: Ithaca Beer Taproom

The Story? I have to start off by just saying... I love this place. The staff is always so friendly and accommodating. The food is exactly what I want to put in my mouth and their one-offs keep getting better.

This particular limited brew from their ever-growing 5-Barrel Series is a Pale brewed with Belgian Yeast. I wasn't able to get too much more detail than that, but by the time it hit my tongue, I didn't really care anymore.

The Beer? A hazy, golden liquid with a yeasty, transparent nose with faint noses of floral hops and sunflower.

I like this hybrid. There's a rustic quality to it along with the Belgian-esq components. There's prickly carbonation, refreshing citrus flavors, backed but a robust smattering of hops that finishes up nice and dry with the slightest hint of must and kumquat.

Hopefully by now you've heard about Ithaca's Box of Hops. The next "Box of" series includes a Belgian box as well as a "Best-of" from the 5-Barrel series. I'd be more than happy to see this one in that troup.

No comments:

Post a Comment