Tuesday, October 29, 2013

#106: Surly Brewing Company » SurlyFest (Oktoberfest)

My new favorite Oktoberfest bier...


The Brewery: Surly Brewing (Brooklyn Center, MN)
The Brew: SurlyFest (Oktoberfest)
Availability: Cans & draft
ABV: 6.0% | IBUs: 34
Rating: 9.3/10
Location: Home

The Story? Another review from the epic box of Surly cans that arrived on my doorstep earlier this fall and is my second time drinking this glorious can. My first taste of SurlyFest was shortly after the box arrived. Not knowing where to start amongst the staggering array of cans, I decided to start small and test the waters. I'm not a huge fan of Oktoberfest beers as many come of a bit lackluster, but being Surly, I figured it would be decent... I couldn't have been more wrong in the right direction.

SurlyFest is brewed with a German Lager yeast, three different types of Rye, and a single variety of American Hops, and then is dry hopped. Get ready.

The Beer? As recommended, this beer in a can gets put in a glass, relieving a glowing amber of a brew with a line of off-white head. The nose is inviting with firm notes of crisp, fresh hops an malts. The flavor is impeccable and incredibly refreshing and the blend of lager, rye, and dry hop in a 'fest beer setting is straight-up brilliant.

Beautiful toast malt flavors dance with rugged, robust rye for a touch of bitterness, further complimented by hushed hop flavor and wonderful dry-hopped aromas. Bready, yeasty flavors continue throughout as well.

Honestly, this is one of my new favorite sesionals and hands down my favorite Oktoberfest.

No comments:

Post a Comment