Monday, October 21, 2013

#092: Stone Brewing Co. » BELGO Anise Imperial Russian Stout (2011)

Vintage Stone IRS with anise? YES.


The Brewery: Stone Brewing Co. (Escondido, CA)
The Brew:  BELGO Anise Imperial Russian Stout (2011)
Availability:  Draft, 22 oz bottles (limited, brewed once)
ABV: 10.5%
Rating: 9.6/10
Location: The Avenue Pub

The Story?  When I perused The Avenue Pub's draft list online a week or so before heading south, they had the 2013 and prior two years of Stone's lauded Imperial Russian Stout's series on draft. I figured with three on tap, my chances were moderate that by the time I got down there, there'd be at least one left. To my surprise, the most vintage or the bunch was still hanging around.

Any of Stone's Imperial Russian series usually strike my fancy - aging well and full of robust splendor at any age. But this - fermented with a Belgian yeast strain, with star anise, and oak chips - is some next level business. I missed this release when it came out, so for the second and final brew of the evening, this was an easy order.

The Beer? I'm almost too excited to not rush drinking this one. Focus. I see a bit of nice, lacy head with some staying power, which made it's way with me up to the balcony atop jet black vintage ale. The nose is peculiar as expected and enticing. Coco, black liquorice, and slightly soured.

Into my mouth and - WOW! This is probably my favorite of the IRS series and one of the more unique offerings from Stone that I've had yet. The mouthfeel is big and creamy, though suprisingly drinkable thanks to the Belgian yeast and carbonation.

The taste is a sublime, robust amalgamation of deep chocolate, liquorice, mint, oak, and even a nod to the bourbon stouts, though it is not bourbon aged. The ABV slides itself gracefully through the door, but without really caring what it knocks over in the way through.

The star anise provides a cooling, medicinal nature too this dark, viscous monster and with age it's found a bit of funk notes deeper in the tasting.

I can easily call this a beautifully unique dark star of a brew, but there's no doubt this is going to be a polarizing beer. Anise is one of those flavors that some palates will just hate and while there's nothing wrong with that, Stone has expertly executed the addition of a somewhat volatile ingredient for the palate in the most mutually-beneficial way for the herb and the beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment