Monday, October 7, 2013

#075: Lawson's Finest Liquids » Maple Wheat Ale and Kiwi (Double IPA) @ Prohibition Pig

Friends and food down at Prohibition Pig...


The Story? Back in July, I met one of my partner's friends from college who relayed she and her wife were now residing outside of Burlington. We shared our vision of a beer weekend in the months to come and agreed we should meet up. On her recommendation, we agreed to meet up for dinner at Prohibition Pig in Waterbury, where we were passing back through anyways.

I was immediately impressed by their selection of herbal liquors, but had to remind myself this weekend was all about beer. I struck out on the first few orders (a Gose, Evil Twin Femme Fatal Brett, etc) and was informed that they were finishing up several of their tap lines in preparation of a Stillwater takeover the next day. Well, that's a fair enough reason if I've ever heard one!

I ordered up a somewhat lackluster Allagash White (I remember this being amazing last time I had it, maybe I wasn't in the mood) and continued on in conversation. The arrival of my stacked Pork Burger (which was delicious, by the way) and my first taste of Lawson's Finest Liquids' perked my spirits. I was also informed that while Heady Topper was no longer on tap, Lawson's own Double IPA, Kiwi just entered the game.

Lawson's itself brews in small batches, some exclusive to the locations they're served. Their line-up of quality, hoppy beers is ever changing.



Maple Wheat Ale (Pale Wheat Ale) 4.2% | 8/10
Nice foamy head with a bit of lace. Sweet taste with mild tartness and quite dry the whole way around. The maple notes are subtle along with hint of banana and cracked wheat. Clean mouthfeel. Tasty, but I really just haven't been able to get particularly excited about maple wheats unfortunately.



Kiwi (Double IPA) 8.1% | 9/10
No, this isn't an IPA brewed with kiwi fruit. This DIPA gets it's moniker from a health dose of New Zealand grown Nelson Sauvin and Pacific Jade hops.

Fluffy, staying head. Hazy amber color. Plentifully fruity, citrus nose. Dry mouthfeel and tons of fruity grapefruit and tropical flavors. Nice, dank and piney. This DIPA is strong, but not overpowering. The soft bitterness of the Pacific Jade hops couple with the prolific fruit notes of Nelson Sauvin hops are a great pairing. Sweet, balanced flavor which gracefully hides the over 8% ABV.

No comments:

Post a Comment