Friday, October 11, 2013

#085: Bronx » Pale Ale

My first taste of Bronx...



The Brewery: The Bronx Brewery (Bronx, NY)
The Brew: Pale Ale
Availability: Cans & draft
ABV: 6.3% | IBUs: 50
Rating: 8.5/10
Location: Felicia's Atomic Lounge 

The Story? I found myself with an unexpected night free on Wednesday and hopped down to Felicia's after work to meet up with my partner and her sister. My partner recently started working at Felicia's, so I've been down there far more frequently then before. They have a solid bottle beer selection for a cocktail-oriented (make that delicious cocktail-oriented) bar - Dogfish Head, Oskar Blues, Liemand's, etc - and they typically have a half-dozen or so draft options with a rotating regional selection. Last time down they had Pumking on tap, so I was excited to see what lay in store this time.

Probably the last thing I expected to see was big, bold letters spelling "BRONX". Their flagship Pale Ale cans only recently made it into distribution in our area and I certainly hadn't seen it on bar draft in Ithaca yet. Easy choice. Sold.

The Beer? As seen above, Bronx presents a completely transparent, deep-amber pale with just a tip of head. The nose is dark and hoppy with a touch of citrus and muted floral notes.

Onto the tongue, it has a compelling, intriguing flavor for a pale ale - nutty, dry, and bitter. Not your typical pale, in regards to many more recent releases heavy on the citrus, rind, and bright hop flavor. There are caramel and biscuit notes I equate more with English-styles. This is solid.

All of that is finished and delivered with a smooth mouthfeel, med-high carbonation, and nice hop and slight booze heat in the finish that stays with you. I'm looking forward to doing a comparison to how the can may differ... and eventually getting my hands on any of their barrel age series.

No comments:

Post a Comment