Wednesday, October 23, 2013

#097: De Struise Brouwers » Black Damnation I: Black Berry Albert (Stout)

Imperial Stout aged in whiskey barrels with fresh blackberries...


The Brewery: De Struise Brouwers (Belgium)
The Brew:  Black Damnation I: Black Berry Albert (Imperial Stout)
Availability: Bottles, draft (limited - brewed once)
ABV: 13.0%
Rating: 9.9/10
Location: The Avenue Pub (New Orleans, LA)

The Story? From first glans at the beer menu, I knew I would close out my last evening in NOLA with this beer. Noting the 13% and the brief description mentioning "Proof that too much of a good thing is sometimes a very good thing."  Challenge accepted.

The Beer? The draft pour is long and enticing. Thick, jet black gold emerges from the tap with a generous amount of mocha colored head into a 6 oz. serving. For once I'm thankful for the modest size as at 13%, I would like to wake up in my hotel room.

The taste pure bliss. Rich, sweet, and dark with a bitter finish. I can't even think of the popper verbage to put down at first. I'm impressed with the amount of head for a brew this intense and high ABV.

There's a thick, heavy mouthfeel that is rich and complex. Deep chocolate notes, mild dark fruit, coffee bean flavors are quick present with the berry addition indirectly adds very subtle fruitiness and deepens the complexity alongside a growing amount of heat from the whiskey aging.

Black Damnation is remarkably well balanced. Unlike some Whiskey barrel aging, this imperial stout never burns. Only sweet, magnificent, stunningly sweet stout on the start which evolves into dark, beautiful bitterness on the finish.

Highly recommended if you ever find it. I wish there was a tick more berry flavor, but with everything else, I really can't complain.


No comments:

Post a Comment