Monday, October 21, 2013

#091: NOLA Brewing / New Belgium » Swamp Grape Escape

First beer on my first night out...


The Brewery: New Orleans Lager & Ale Brewing Company (New Orleans, LA)
The Brew:  Swamp Grape Escape
Availability: draft only (brewed once)
ABV: 5.0%
Rating: 8.5/10
Location: The Avenue Pub

The Story? After my first day at the conference and having the opening event end earlier than expected, I decided to do some exploring on my own. On the recommendation of my friends who have lived in NOLA, a current resident who walks a lot, and my own judgement; I decided to take the evening in the opposite direction of Bourbon Street. While I love the red light district of any city like the next guy (actually... that's probably not true), I decided an experience I would enjoy versus just an "experience" was more in-line with needing to be bright-eyed at 7AM and feeling more like clearing my head than clouding it, I took the trek up to the brew-pub I'd been reading up on before the trip... The Avenue Pub.

About a 30 minute walk from my hotel later (great, warm, humid night for a walk - I do love the South), I entered. From the beer selection online and the fact it was open 24/7, I half expected it to be a bit stuffy, but found just the contrary.

Enter a slightly busted, aged wood establishment, endearing to my heart and mindset for the night. Smoking downstairs. Two different tap lines - while holding the same tab - and quality food if you're peckish or ravenous. I sit down at the bar - "What can I get you boo?"  Oh my glob, I love the south...

Let's see... where to start. Not too high gravity, local... but still delicious. A NOLA / New Belgian, draft -only collaboration under the sour section?  Strike me down.

The Beer? Swamp Grape Escape was NOLA's contribution to the Louisiana Craft Brewer Week. A Belgian single, brewed with local muscadine grapes - part of the "swamp grape" family.

The beer itself is hazy, dark brown with a slim bit of head. After a somewhat stressful day, this is tally quenching - light body, plenty of grape flavor with a touch of sourness. There's something distinctly old school abbot this one. While slightly on the sour side of things (my weakness), it's never overbearing or acidic. I could easily see beating the heat with a growler of this on the front porch. Quality tartness and good mouthfeel.

Overall, a solid one-off for a beer-week brew. Accessible, while holding its own.

(pics in the darkness)


No comments:

Post a Comment