Saturday, November 23, 2013

#142: New England Brewing Co. » Galaxy Pale Ale

Brewed with a Galaxy from far, far away...


The Brewery: New England Brewing (Woodbridge, CT)
The Brew:  Galaxy Pale Ale
Availability: Draft Only
ABV: 4.8%
Rating: 9.5/10
Location: The Westy

The Story? After a lengthy work day, productive rehearsal, and another meeting about the water damage repairs at the house, it was time to meet up with my partner for a drink. My friend Michael Stark has been on residency at The Westy this fall, but I've been too swamped to catch a single solo or collaborative set.

Lucky for me, he had a special line-up this week including one of my own bandmates. An evening of good conversation, fantastic improv, and hoppy beer? Sign me up.

While I've made it through New England's Sea Hag and Gandhi Bot, this was the first time I've run across their Pale Ale. Galaxy is their first beer in a series of single hop releases, brewed exclusively with Galaxy hops from New Zealand. These NZ hops have been getting a good amount of buzz of late and for good reason.

The Beer? I'm served up a mug of Galaxy and it's a opaque, deep yellow with a thin wisp of white head. The nose wastes no time flaunting voluminous passion fruit, citrus, and tangy grapefruit aromas with lemon and orange zest. So far, this brew is quite enticing and the fist sip does not disappoint.

Galaxy is gracious on it's feet with only 4.8% and a light body and goes down easy with a plethora of hop complexity, zest, and excitement. Notes of kumquat and grapefruit are apparent throughout and close with a wonderfully dry finish and pleasant mouthcoat. I'm almost hesitant to get another beer after this. Wow!

One of the best showcases of New Zealand hops I've run across yet. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment