Monday, November 11, 2013

#126: Bacchus Brewing » Harvest Ale (Fresh Hop Ale)

More fresh-hop goodness...


The Brewery: Bacchus (Dryden, NY)
The Brew: Harvest Ale (Fresh Hop Ale)
Availability: draft only (limited)
ABV: 5.5% // IBUs: 40-50 est.
Rating: 8.5/10
Location: Bandwagon Brew Pub

The Story? It's impossible to keep up on every beer, but there always a few I make a more concerted effort for. I'd been speaking with Bacchus Brewing's head brewer a week or so back, regarding how I'd missed out on their first fresh-hop ale. Richie informed me that there were still a couple kegs kicking around town and to keep my eyes pealed.

After a moving evening of seeing Elvis Costello perform solo, my partner and I ventured out for pint to wade in the wake of our recent experience. To my delight, there was "Bacchus Harvest Ale" staring back at me from the menu. Order up.

The Beer? This fresh-hopped ale starts off with an orange-amber body and cloud-like, fluffy white head with plenty of staying power and a bit of lace. The nose is somewhat transparent, with mild hops and a touch of fresh honey.

The body is quite smooth and drinkable, especially considering 30 lbs of hops went into this baby. A full, robust mouth of bitterness, smooths out into a malty finish. Bursts of pine and roasted malt, find their way to a smooth sweet finish. There's a lot going on in this one, with touches of citrus and hop heat, to the excellent finish brushed with white bread and a nod of pomegranate. The mouthfeel is mostly clean throughout with a slight moutcoat by the end of the glass.

Another solid brew from another local brewery that is high on my to-visit list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment