Wednesday, November 6, 2013

#118: McKenzie’s Hard Cider » Seasonal Reserve

Hard cider on a beer blog?


The Brewery: McKenzie’s Hard Cider (West Seneca, NY)
The Brew: Seasonal Reserve
Availability: Bottles, draft (seasonal)
ABV: 5.0%
Rating: 8.8/10
Location: Home

The Story? It takes a lot for me to like a hard cider. Don't get me wrong, I love apple cider. It's one of my favorite things about the fall and good hard cider along with it. It's just with Bellweather a few clicks from my home, some ciders can be a hard sell.

I remember a few years back when bottles of McKenzie’s began showing up at gatherings, I was impressed with the quality, flavor, and how they made my stomach feel afterwards (Woodchuck... I'm looking at you). No high-fructose corn syrup here either (Angry Orchard...)

I've had McKenzie’s Original and Black Cherry, but haven't explored their Seasonal Reserve. Bottoms up!

The Beer Cider? Reserve pours out a hazy gold hue with zero head. Even before picking up the glass, its aromatic nature is immediately apparent. Big notes of apple and cinnamon on the nose and soothing mulled-spice presence. This cider is nice and wet up front, drying out with a pleasant mouth coat of spices. I really enjoy the low level of carbonation and perfect dash of cinnamon and nutmeg. Wet, velvety, spice but not overwhelming and very drinkable. Recommended if you're looking for a six-pack alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment