Monday, November 11, 2013

#124: Jack's Abby Brewing » Hoponius Union (IPL)

Jack's distinguished India Pale Lager...


The Brewery: Jack's Abby (Farmington, MA)
The Brew: Hoponius Union (IPL)
Availability: Bottles/Draft
ABV: 6.7% | IBUs: 65
Rating: 9.5/10
Location: The Westy

The Story? Occasionally, there are those available beers that just seem to evade me. When The Westy received their first batch of kegs from Jack's Abby, the line began with JA's Oktoberfest, but they gave me a sneak peak and what was to come with Hoponius Union. Event with just a few sips, it was one of the best, non-Imperial/Double, hoppy beers I've had.

I proceeded to miss Hoponius Union on tap at least once, if not twice while being out of Ithaca. When I heard it was going back up, I made immediate plans to not miss it again, but almost did when my body proceeded to turn on me. A variety of prescription drugs later and despite a late start to the evening, we made it just in time to realize I'd forgotten my phone, which is my notepad and camera for this blog since I can't read my own handwritting. Well, at least this one is worth the extra work!

For those new to Jack's Abby, their entire line is lager-based, rejuvenating a major of beer family that has been tarnished by American adjuncts and the like, providing a new palate of flavorful, clean-tasting brews. Hoponius Union itself is like a traditional IPA but with a twist - it’s fermented cold and aged for extended periods.

The Beer? Hoponius Union starts with a palpable, inviting nose of citrus & tropical fruits. The appearance is a glimmering, completely translucent amber body with touch of mid-level lacy head.

The taste is a true hop gem. Supported incredibly smooth mouthfeel, Hop Union is clean and refreshing with robust, piney, and bitter hops. There are some hints of orange and mango and a touch of floral, but never comes of as fruity or dipping in to west-coast overzealousness. Balance is the name of the game here, with nutty and biscuit malt notes amidst the hop oils and resin. All that is wrapped up with a mildly drying finish.

Overall, a must-try for a quality, drinkable and hoppy beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment