Tuesday, November 5, 2013

#116: Brooklyn Brewery » Cuvée La Boîte (Spiced Grand Cru)

My first visit to Victoire Belgian beer bar...


The Brewery: Brooklyn Brewery (Brooklyn, NY)
The Brew:  Cuvée La Boîte (Spiced Grand Cru)
Availability:  Bottles, draft (limited)
ABV: 7.9%
Rating: 9.3/10
Location: Victoire

The Story? Over the summer, while on tour, the owner of Ithaca's The Westy asked if I'd had a chance to swing by Victoire during our stop in Rochester. I hadn't. In fact, I hadn't even heard of it yet. A Belgian beer bar on East Ave?  I vowed not to miss that opportunity again. Having returned to my old stomping grounds this past weekend, I kept up that promise to myself. It's good to promise yourself good beer.

Victoire itself is tucked into the lower level, on a corner on East Ave's vibrant strip. One boastful parallel-park job later and I'm on my way in, noting the outdoor patio for when warm weather returns to Rochester. I was greeted by friendly staff and an elderly couple kindly scooched over to allow me ample access to the bar and a seat while a jazz band started up. A quick glance at the beer menu showed numerous familiar flagship and seasonal offerings from Belgian and Belgian-style staples such as Chimay, Duvel, Ommegang, Stillwater, Unibroue, Leffe, and DuPont, even Kwak and Rodenbach. For me, the Brooklyn Cuvee La Boite and Duchesse de Bourgogne were immediate stand-outs that I hadn't experienced yet.

Cuvee La Boite is part of Brooklyn Brewery's Brewmaster's Reserve series and is brewed in the Grand Cru tradition with Wildflower Honey, Lior’s unique blend of Mishmish N.33 (lemon, saffron, crystalized honey), fresh kaffir lime leaves, and rare Espe- lette peppers from the French Pyrénées. Wow.


The Beer? Cuvee La Boite serves up with a thick, white head of foam perched on cloudy, golden liquid. The nose is a complex menagerie of spices with subtle notes of lemon, honey, and yeast. Every scent and spice appears interwoven, relying on the others and is all about the bouquet sum rather than it's individual pieces.

I take a long first sip and immediately take note how incredibly smooth this is. At first the flavor is straightforward and typically Belgian, but in an instant, it blooms with all sorts of interesting characteristics.

The silky smooth mouthfeel is complemented by an amazing array of flavors - pepper, crème brûlée, mild banana, honey, honey comb, vanilla, wheat, with a slight touch of ester far off on the finish which coats the tongue nicely with all that spice.

Overall this is probably the smoothest beers I've ever enjoyed. The whole experience is elegant and sublime. A recommended reserve for the discerning enthusiast that won't break the bank.


No comments:

Post a Comment