Wednesday, November 20, 2013

#135: Founders Brewing Co. » Centennial (IPA)

I need to post more from Founders...


The Brewery: Founders Brewing Co. (Grand Rapids, MI)
The Brew: Centennial (IPA)
Availability: Draft and bottles (Year-Round)
ABV: 7.2% | 65 IBUs
Rating: 9/10
Location: Felicia's Atomic Lounge

The Story? Despite Founders being one of my favorite U.S. breweries, I've only posted about them three times prior. I'm going to remedy that.

If you somehow haven't given their line a try, I'd highly suggest anything they put out. In my book, Founders has one of the best track records for putting out consistently high-quality brews. I've never had a single beer from them that I didn't enjoy or wasn't impressed by.

This one was a pleasant draft surprise stopping into Felecia's last week. '

The Beer? An earthy nose of soft, aromatic hops starts things off for this deep-amber hued brew. The taste starts off minerally, smooth and very drinkable. There's a touch of heat in the hop bitterness as well.

Bitter grapefruit flavors dominate taste, but never become overbearing, and are complimented by citrus pith and slight boozy esters. The bitterness swells on the sides of the tongue a quarter of the way through while the sweet malts begin to creep through. Further on, broader citrus flavors arise with notes of caramel and pepper.

A superb, readily available offering that sounds out amongst the thousands of IPAs.

No comments:

Post a Comment