Thursday, November 14, 2013

#131: Public Works Ale » Knuckle-Buster IPA

What once was lost...


The Brewery: Public Works Ale (Baltimore, MD)
The Brew: Knuckle-Buster IPA
Availability: Draft, Bottle (year-round)
ABV: 7.0% | IBUs: 45
Rating: 9/10
Location: Home
Found: The Wine Source (Baltimore, MD) via LVL UP

The Story? Better late than never. Knuckle-Buster was a fantastic, shot-in-the-dark find when I was down in Baltimore back in May when this blog was just starting up and was to be review #016 or something to that effect.

Two bottles of this luscious IPA were tucked far in the back of the fridge the night of  my band's tour kick off show. In the afternoon when I returned from work, I noticed two, empty Public Works bottles on the counter... one of the bands crashing had cracked into them late the night before. Admittedly, I was pretty irate at the time, but in the end, why stress over things you can't do anything about.

I figured I'd be back in Baltimore... next year? @#$&!

Fast forward six months and I'd helped book our friends LVL UP for a show at Cornell University that took place last weekend. They just so happen to be driving up from (you guessed it) Baltimore the night before. I hit them up, asking if they'd be kind enough to pick me up a sixer and they graciously did just that. Cheers to those guys! Hooray beer!

The Beer? Knuckle-Buster pours out amber and ultra-transparent with a finger of white, fizzy head that fades into a slim ring of lace. I deeply inhale and savor the ample, citrus nose. I've been looking forward to this for some time.

My tongue is met by with an incredibly smooth mouthfeel and smooth bitter flavors which sweeten out into hints of coconut and crisp malts. There's a touch of orange back there in the finish as well. Notes of citrus pith and rind find their way into the initial sip between pine and subtle resin just long enough to appreciate, before it concludes sweet and smooth. Further in, a faint hop heat can be found tucked into that sublime finale.

It isn't as orange-citrus dominated in flavor as initially remember, but it's just as good.

This really is one of my favorite IPA finds of the spring. Knuckle-Buster is so crisp, clean, and drinkable, while still providing that American-IPA bitter punch. A well balanced, expertly crafted beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment