Friday, November 22, 2013

#139: B. Nektar Meadery » Evil Genius (IPA-Style Mead)

Mead madness...


The Brewery: B. Nektar Meadery (Ferndale, MI)
The Brew: Evil Genius (IPA-Style Mead)
Availability: Bottles / Draft
ABV: 6.0%
Rating: 7/10
Location: Home

The Story? While this blog is dedicated to beer, I do like to venture to the fringe where brewing methods blur the lines with other beverages.I'd heard about B. Nektar initially from their Necromangocon (Mango/Pepper mead), but have been without an opportunity to try anything from their line until my friend Beth gifted me a bottle from their travels to Maine.

Evil Genius is an interesting elixir, created with Chinook, Cluster, and Cascade hops in addition to local Michigan, wildflower honey. Interestingly, B. Nektar uses hop oil in addition to dry hopping for their preferred flavor profile. While I've imbibed my share of mead (including a friend's incredible basil mead creation), I'm not 100% what I'm diving into.

The Beer Mead? The nose opens, reminiscent of an ice wine with soft notes of honey, muscat grape, and mild citrus. In appearance, Evil Genius looks like what you'd expect from a mead - pale yellow and seems still.

The taste is refreshing, but dry with soft carbonation. There's a faint hop bitterness present and a touch of hop spice which grows through the glass. A well-balanced concoction, this mead never gets sweet or syrupy. Distinct lychee flavors along with subtle peach and other white fruits are notable.

Overall, a creative mead. I was expecting a bit more hops, but they seem to be more for balance than hop-flavor as we know them. Worth consuming, but not as extreme as the labeling might suggest.

No comments:

Post a Comment