Wednesday, November 27, 2013

#148: Stone Brewing » Old Guardian Barley Wine (2012)

Stone's Old Guardian from last year emerges from the cellar...


The Brewery: Stone Brewing Co. (Escondido, CA)
The Brew:  Old Guardian Barley Wine (2012)
Availability:  Draft, 22 oz bottles (Classic, seasonal)
ABV: 11.6% | IBUs: 80
Rating: 9/10
Location: Home
Found: Fingerlakes Beverage Center

The Story? After getting a chance to see the Doctor Who' 50th Anniversary Spectacular in the theater on Monday and finally having a warm house to come home to, my partner and I were in a bit of a celebratory mood.

While I'm not as much of a fan of winter commutes as I used to be, I do look forward to one of my favorite seasonal styles - Barleywines. I grabbed this one from the cellar, let it cool a bit further and cracked into this delicious year-in-waiting brew.

The Beer? Old Guardian pours out a hazy, murky amber color with just a bit more than a ring of lacy head. Already, there's plenty of boozy raisin notes backed by big malts, an inviting earthiness, and hints of coco. This should be a great ride.

Flavor-wise, there is a straight-up honey finish, which is quite enjoyable. Smooth and chewy mouthfeel and despite the aging, has still retained pleasant hop character.

I prefer my barleywines on the English-style, less bitter side of things, which is why I aimed to age this one, that started out at an IBU of 80. And I'm glad I did.

In addition to the distinct honey notes on the finish, Old Guardian is a complex journey through golden and purple raisins, agave candy, and sugared grapefruit. Undeterred by the 11.6% ABV, the ester and booze notes are well hidden and isn't as much of a sipper as I'd imagined.

All in all, a sweet, smooth, and creamy experience all around. A creamy, malt-wallop with mild, balanced bitterness. Looking forward to the 2013 Smoked version that remains cellared.



No comments:

Post a Comment