Friday, March 21, 2014

#210: Florida Tip Pt. 1 » Terripin Rye, Sweetwater Happy Ending, Orlando Brewing Pale Ale

OK, this post is well overdue. Back in mid-February, just before the massive snow storms in the Northeast (which caused me to have to head home early), I had the opportunity to travel to Florida for work. As always, time for regional beer was made...


Terrapin Beer Company » Terrapin Rye Pale Ale | ABV: 5.3% | 8/10
After landing and getting to the hotel, it was beer time while waiting for the rest of our crew to arrive and figure out where we wanted to go for dinner.

This rye pours up a hazy caramel with minimal head. Smooth, light body with soft rye notes, coupled with mild citrus and lemon and a touch of esters on the finish. A bit weak for how I enjoy my ryes, but enjoyable nevertheless.


Sweetwater Brewing » Happy Ending Imperial Stout | ABV: 9.0% | IBU: 53 | 9/10
On the way back from a mostly enjoyable meal, I realized I was in 70º+ weather with access to an ourdoor pool, in Florida and no bathing suit. We caught a convenience store on the way back and I picked up a suit that I'm still quite content with. Being me, I figured the cold case was worth a look and amidst the American Adjunct Lagers whats a label touting a "dry-hopped Imperial stout" weighing in at 9% - I figured this monstrosity could got either way, but couldn't be passed up.

Out of the bottle, a thick, mocha head, with plenty of lacing, bubbles up from the jet black nectar below. A superbly citrus nose starts things off.

The flavor is semi-sweet. Bright orange flavors dominate with a solid malt depth of sugar and caramel notes. Fresh, citrusy, hop  bitterness and goodness couple far better than expected with dark malts and lively carbonation. Reminds me more of a quality Black IPA than traditional stout characteristics.

There's a mid-level hop spice and booze heat in there as well, with the stout roasted notes peaking through further in. Overall, a worthwhile venture and unique meld of styles.


Orlando Brewing Partners » Pale Ale | ABV: 6.25% | 8.5/10
I'd say OBP is the brewery I've head the most about, second to Cigar City. Their Pale pours out clear amber with a tuft of fluffy white head with a pleasant, soft hoppy nose.

The flavor is incredibly smooth and quite silky for a pale. Caramel malt notes and soft citrus strike a wonderful balance. A solid pale ale for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment