Tuesday, March 18, 2014

#206: Jack's Abby Brewing » Smoke & Dagger (Nitro)

Jack rides the line between a schwarzbier and smoked porter...


The Brewery: Jack's Abby (Farmington, MA)
The Brew: Mass Rising (Double IPL)
Availability: Bottles/Draft (Year-Round)
ABV: 5.8%| IBUs: 24
Rating: 8.7/10
Found: Ithaca Coffee Company (Gateway Commons)

After a solid, eventful, and productive week, I figured I'd treat myself to a pint on the way home from the day job. I had my eye on Sierra Nevada's Ovila on draft, but alas, it kicked literally the glass before mine.

Jack's has never done me wrong, I'd I've heard great things about Smoke & Dagger and it was on Nitro, so figured like a good runner up.

Smoke & Dagger pours up almost jet black, just slightly more on the deep brown spectrum, topped with ivory head. Down the hatch, it's really wonderful. Silky smooth with a smoke and faintly spiced finish. It's toasty with a touch of what I want to say is cinnamon.

Bold notes of malt, chocolate, coffee and undeniable smoke continue to build on this meal of a beer. The flavors have some serious staying power but still remain refreshing and well balanced.

The Nitro is a nice touch for such a dark, silky lager. Jack's continues to innovate and revitalize lagers at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment