Thursday, March 20, 2014

#209: Owl House » 3 Heads Amalgamation, Spoetzl Shiner FM 966, Ace Perry Cider, B. Nektar Black Fang, Scaldis Peche Mel

Before meeting up with family for my Father's birthday, I got to sneak in bunch and drinks with one of my best friends up in Rochester at one of my favorite restaurants and beer spots - Owl House. Amazing food and drinks for those who haven't been.



Three Heads Bewing » Amalgamation (Brown Ale) ABV: 6.5% | 9/10
It takes a lot for me to get excited about a brown, as previously stated. Double browns will usually do it, but those are relatively rare. Make it a Brown from Rochester's 3HB, and I'm listening. They've been concocting tasty brews for several years now, and Amalgamation is no exception.

It's a roasted, full-bodied, BIG brown ale that can hang with any other modern style. Mild hop notes merge with a huge, complex malt palate. Nutty, with notes of caramel, toffee, and overall residing on the bitter side. Surprisingly tasty.

Ace Perry (Cider) ABV: 4% | 9.4/10
To be honest, I grabbed this because my other choice had just kicked and it was the only thing on the beer menu I hadn't already had (besides those listed here). Total fluke choice.

The result? Amazing. No seriously. A pear cider that I absolutely love. Smooth and sweet, but not at all sugary. Silky tropical notes with sweet pear. I have to find this. It won't be for everyone, but to me it's fucking amazing.

B. Nektar Meadery » Black Fang (Mead) ABV: 6% | 9.1/10
Crafted with honey, blackberry, clove and orange zest; B. Nektar delivers again with a sweet, mild, velvety, and tart mead that is simply delicious.

Scaldis Peche Mel (Fruit Beer) ABV: 8.5% | 8.7/10
Sweet and delicate with juicy peach notes backed by subtle, smooth Belgian beer that offers just the slightest dryness on the finish.

Spoetzl Brewery » Shiner FM 966 (Farmhouse Ale) ABV: 5.7% | 8.5/10
A highly citrus farmhouse. With a light mouthfeel and highly delicate flavor spectrum, this one is a bit too subtle for my palate. Good, but a bit underwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment