Monday, December 30, 2013

#170: Victory Brewing Co. » Helios (Belgian-style Farmhouse Ale)

Victory's funky farmhouse...


The Brewery: Victory Brewing Co. (Downington, PA)
The Brew: Helios (Belgian-style Farmhouse Ale)
Availability: Bottles & Draft
ABV: 7.5%%
Rating: 9.0/10
Location: Home
Found: Fingerlakes Beverage Center

The Story? I must have passed by this beer several dozen times. Why? I haven't the slightest. Maybe the old green/yellow/brown label just didn't strike me the right way. Victory has my trust with long-standing staples such as Golden Monkey and Storm King, plus their impeccable draft-only offerings, so again, I have no idea why this never made it to my beer basket.

Last week, I was having a few close friends over, whom I hadn't seen in months, for movies. While shopping for some session brews to share and on my way out, I saw Helios staring back at me from the cold case, rebranded and for just $4.99. I figured if nothing else, it'd be a nice way to ease into the session beers, unknowing the pleasant surprise I was in for.

The Beer? Nice and funky right out of the gate! Golden, pale yellow color with fluffy white head presentation with a complex, Belgian-style nose, prominent in wheat and yeast.

Helios is brewed up with Brettanomyces and a blend of specialty yeasts from the Victory vault, yielding a bustling, wide flavor palate of mild barnyard, basement must, soft red apple, wet hay, grass, smooth citrus, peppercorn, and lemon peel. Way too drinkable at surprising 7.5%, this year-round bomber may have just be come one of my new go-tos.

For a beer I wasn't even planning on blogging, this peaked my interest with it's lovely, smooth, and drinkable funkiness on first sip. Kudos to Victory on the new, eye-catching label too.

No comments:

Post a Comment