Friday, December 27, 2013

#168: Hopshire Farm & Brewery » Amber Glass (American Amber Ale)

Malty harvest ale from Hopshire... 


The Brewery: Hopshire Farm & Brewery (Freeville, NY)
The Brew:  Amber Glass ((Amber Ale)
Availability: Draft
ABV: 5.0% | IBUs: 35
Rating: 8.9/10
Location: Ithaca Coffee Company (Triphammer)

The Story? After a long day of last minute holiday and paint shopping, my partner and I headed over to Ithaca Coffee Company for a pick-me-up. We planned on two rounds to rejuvenate with, so I eyed Triphammer's typically hefty offerings for a starter that would still allow me to accomplish our remaining errands. 

Earlier in the season, Hopshire issued two new offerings, 'Round Yon Virgil (spiced Brown Ale) and Amber Glass - an American style Amber brewed with whole, local Willamette and Cascade hops and New York barley malt and British amber. Granted, Amber Ale's aren't my favorite, but getting a disappointing brew from Hopshire seemed unlikely. 

The Beer? Bringing my beer to the table, I'm met with a firm malt nose that is roasted with a distinct coolness. 

Right off the bat, this is a very tasty beer. It's creaming, warming and quenching with just a hint of spice. Far more complex than most 5.0% Ambers I've run across. Notes of rosehips, pepper, orange zest, rosemary abound amidst smooth malts and toasty caramel finish. 

Overall, this is undoubtedly in the Top 5 Ambers I've ever enjoyed, if not one of the best singles. Kudos to Hopshire for taking an unassuming style to new heights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment