Tuesday, December 10, 2013

#157: Upstate Brewing Company » I.P.W. (India-Style Pale Wheat)

Local blend of popular American styles...


The Brewery: Upstate Brewing Company (Elmira, NY)
The Brew: I.P.W. (India-Style Pale Wheat)
Availability: 4-packs cans (year-round)
ABV: 6.5%
Rating: 8.5/10
Location: Tug Hill Plateau (Camping)
Found: GreenStar Co-Op

The Story? Last week, my partner and I headed up to the Tun Hill region of the Adirondacks as a getaway for our anniversary. The house was still under renovation and my biggest event of the year, Big Day In, just around the corner. A cabin in the middle of no-cell-reception sounded like just the relaxer I needed.

We brought some of the good stuff for our one full day at the cabin and picked up a four pack of Upstate I.P.W. and Common Sense for when we rolled in late Monday night. As you can likely deduce, their I.P.W. is a merger of IPA and American Wheat beer.

The Beer? I.P.W. looks great out of the can - deep amber with a ring white head. The nose is bright, hoppy, and fully of citrus. It's light bodied, with full, soft hop flavor. Mild hop bitterness and citrus notes throughout and complimented by the smooth wheat finish. A great tall-boy for hanging out.

Recommended for anyone just getting into hoppier or those looking for a meal beer with solid character.

No comments:

Post a Comment