Thursday, December 19, 2013

#165: Southern Tier Brewing Co. » Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)

A lil seasonal evil for the naughty ones...


The Brewery: Southern Tier Brewing Co. (Lakewood, NY)
The Brew: Krampus (Imperial Helles Lager)
Availability: Bottles, Draft (limited)
ABV: 9.0%
Rating: 9/10
Location: Home
Found: Fingerlakes Beverage Center

The Story? After hauling out the last of the furniture from half our first floor for some refinishing, I pulled out this bottle of Krampus to join me a few hours of serenity in our big empty room. Of course, this was after I found my car battery completely dead and jogged to go pick this up. But for now, serenity, while I wait for the Autoworks guy to show up. It's been an interesting year.

The Beer? The off-white head that kicks this one off is thick and lacy with plenty of staying power atop the crystal-clear amber body. The nose is full of sweet grapefruit and other citrus notes and sugary malts.

Two of the characteristics I love the most is how utterly smooth and impeccably well-balanced Krampus is. Roasted malts, caramel, and smooth citrus flavors all working in harmony backed by a slight earthiness and touch of hop heat and spice. All wrapped up with that refreshing lager drinkability. I often forget this one kicks at 9%.

Overall, a regional seasonal I always look forward to. Accessible and original, which is a feat in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment