Tuesday, July 30, 2013

#034: Anchorage Brewing Co. - Galaxy (White IPA with Brett)

One of my favorite Brett beers...


The Brewery: Anchorage Brew Company
The Brew: Galaxy (White IPA bottled with Brett.)
Availability: Bottles
ABV: 7.0% | 50 IBUs
Rating: 9.5/10
Location: Home

The Story? Back in December, I was lucky enough to be invited to an annual beer tasting home party in Philadelphia through a friend. It was the best home tasting I'd been to by far and must have had $5,000+ in bottles, plus sever excellent home brews. Through many, many jovial conversations about and sharing of beers, I was introduced to Anchorage Brewing Co. - an brewery out of Anchorage, AK which bottles all of their beer with Brettanomyces. After their Galaxy White IPA and Lovebuzz Saison, I was hooked.

Only catch is that they don't distribute to NYS. Major bummer. So, several months of online watching and waiting I snagged two bottles the collection, waiting for the right opportunity to pop one open with friends...


But then, tragedy... one of the bottles exploded during the heat wave while I was on the road. Luckily, bottle #2 was well in tack and my partner and I decided better not wait to test the fates.

The Beer? Voluminous, lively white head which hangs around. Wonderful citrus nose with hints of spice. Cloudy, golden appearance.

On first sip, lively carbonation prickles the tongue. Very clean and dry with a nice bitter hop finish. Very elegant mouthfeel - top choice if you have champagne fan friends who are hesitant venturing into beer.

This beautiful White IPA is brewed with kumquat and peppercorns in addition to the Brett fermentation. The kumquat is very apparent in the bitterness. The Brett brings a dry, transparent nature - not so much on the juicy sour or funky or musty spectrum, but a thinned, rindy tartness. Delicate, but stands firm.

A few mouthfuls in, some more of the funky points of the Brett sneak in. The peppercorn is quite subtle and isn't as spicy as you may expect at first... but second glass in, the peppercorn spikes up and the kumquat becomes more present and robust. By dredge, some sweeter notes come into play.

One of my favorite Brett beers, though not quite as mind-blowing the second time around with all that anticipation, but I will buy this one again and again when I can get my hands on it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment