Tuesday, July 2, 2013

#023: Brouwerij Boon - Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait

Geuze... Gueuze... Geysa...?


The Brewery: Brouwerij Boon (Belgium)
The Brew: Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait (Gueuze)
Availability: Bottles
ABV:  8.0%
Rating: 8.5/10
Location: Home

The Story? When I dove head first into sours, the Gueuze style immediately peaked my interest. I'd been familiar and loving lambics even before considering myself a beer drinker and a multi-year aged lambic with intense sour and funk notes sounded right up my alley. Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L'Ancienne from Gueuzerie Tilquin immediately made it to the top of my favorite beers list and I've been aiming to work my way through whatever quality Gueuze's I can get my hands on... and still wrap my wallet around. This one from Brouwerij Boon caught my eye while at Nathaniel Square Corner Store in Rochester.

The Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parf consists of 95% mild lambic, aged at least three years and specially reserved for this purpose, and 5% young lambic.

The Beer? Wow! Tart and musty. Earthy and a little metallic. Medium body and nice head to show off. Grass, a bit on the lemon side of things, but not as puckery as the aforementioned Gueuzerie Tilquin - which is a 1, 2, and 3 year lambic blended and aged by comparison.

Second glass is hits it's stride, heading in the direction of smooth orange juice... funked of course. With such a high percentage of this Gueuze being the 3 year aged, the funk is the focus on this one. I'm very interested to see how this would age for another year.

A wonderful beer, but but if you're looking for puckered, lemony fruit, you'll want to look elsewhere. This one is for the funky, earthy, yeasty fans out there.

Compared to your general craft beer and Belgian lot, this gets a 9+, but compared with other Gueuze, it didn't quite cross into the "mind blowing" rank, hence the 8.5. High expectations and solid return.

No comments:

Post a Comment