Tuesday, July 2, 2013

#025: Avery - duganA (Double IPA)

Avery's once a year Double IPA...


The Brewery: Avery Brewing (Boulder, CO)
The Brew: duganA (Double IPA)
Availability: Bottles (Ltd. release in Sept.)
ABV:  8.5% | IBUs: 93
Rating: 9/10
Location: Home

The Story? Avery (similar to the Left Hand story) is another Colorado brewery that, for whatever reason, isn't readily available in Upstate NY, despite having distribution to Downstate. For months, I eyed such gems as Samael's, The Beast, Hog Heaven, and Maharaja... only to find my gun-shy had cost me my shot at these wonderful brews. Fast forward and our favorite local beverage center pulled a haul up from the City - glory be! Six packs of White Rascal, IPA, Ellies Brown, and Joe's Pils make it into my basket along with Hog Heaven. On the return home, I couldn't help thinking about the beautiful looking IPA I'd passed up - it wasn't the Maharaja I'd been looking for, but why did I pass?

A bit of reading later, finding the duganA I'd passed by is in fact their September-only release with Chinook, Centennial and Columbus hops and Two-row barley, dark aromatic and caramel malt... next trip I was quite thankful to find a bottle sitting in wait.

I passed on my good fortune to my partner Mel and the one and only Cameron Wisch (drummer extraordinaire and soon-to-be guitarist tourmate).

The Beer? Smooth, sticky, and hoppy right off the bat. A beautiful hop experience of pine and resin. The brew beings relatively smooth, but the IBUs really start to creep up on this one, gradually building to a tongue drying finish while brightening a bit as well. 8.5% feels perfect as it never gets too boozy, but instead gives this IPA some serious heft behind it and a nice sweetness.

Overall an excellent big IPA with a high-medium hop bitterness. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment