Monday, September 16, 2013

#061: Middle Ages Brewing » Mayan Apocalypse (American Strong Ale)

For the end of days...


The Brewery: Middle Ages Brewing (Syracuse, NY)
The Brew: Mayan Apocalypse (American Strong Ale)
Availability: Draft & cask only (very limited)
ABV: 8.9%
Rating: 9.3/10
Location: J. Ryan's Pub (Syracuse)

The Story? After the palate wrecking hops of Evil Twin's Molotov Cocktail, I was in the mood to hop to the other side of the spectrum. I've always been pleased with Middle Ages' cask offerings at J. Ryan's so I figured for $4 I really couldn't go wrong...

The Beer? A fine, smooth pour of perfectly low-carbonated hazy goodness topped with a creamy crown of head. Even as the glass heads to my mouth I catch a whiff of sweet alcohol.

A plethora of sweet malty goodness, heavy creamy mouthfeel, bold raisin and booze blooms across my palate. A real hop-killer right here and great follow up. Overall, it's quite potent and in a blind test I'd put this in the same barrel as some of my go-to, quality old ales. This works exceptionally well on cask too. Perfectly old, strong, and modern all at the same time. Probably the best deal I've had on a pint in months.

There's very little information on this one, so feel free to comment if you have more details on malts, hops, and process.

I'm glad luck was in the wind, so I could participate in this final cask of Mayan Apocalypse,  which was originally released on December 21st, 2012. Relatively pleases we're all still here too (well... most of us, haha).  Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment