Friday, September 13, 2013

#060: Evil Twin Brewing » Molotov Cocktail (Imperial IPA)

Hop bomb and total annihilation of the senses...




The Brewery: Evil Twin Brewing (Denmark)
The Brew: Molotov Cocktail (Imperial IPA)
Availability: Draft and bottles 
ABV: 13.0%, IBU: (100+?)
Rating: 8/10
Location: J. Ryan's Pub (Syracuse)

The Story? It was that time of year again for my day-job's bi-annual meetings, but this time around, the whole week was moved to Syracuse. I like a change of pace, sign me up. Oh, and the first full night we're going to Dinosaur BBQ afterwords? Say no more.

After a day's worth of learning, reconnecting, and powerpoints; I unreluctantly devoured some of my favorite slabs of charred flesh, washed down with an Empire Brewing Amber and Syracuse Pale Ale from Middle Ages. Good food, drink, company, and conversation.

On the way to Dinosaur BBQ, I'd realized that my (so far) favorite pub in Syracuse, J. Ryan's Pub was only an 8 minute walk from DBBQ. I can swing that. I bet I could persuade a few others to enjoy one more round. On the walk back to the hotel from DBBQ, I realize we're going to pass within one block of JR's 69 glorious taps. Now it's just a sign. A few willing compatriots and I bolt in and begin to take in their encyclopedia of offerings when my eyes see two irresistible words - EVIL TWIN. 

For anyone unfamiliar, Evil Twin is based out of Denmark and is one of the largest gypsy brewing companies in the world. 

The Beer? I take a long sip and prepare myself for a mouthful of huge hop juice... "I've made a huge mistake."  Kidding, but in all seriousness, this is the hop equivalent of a hot-sauce drinking contest. Molotov Cocktail is an ultra, brutal IPA and the extreme of hop-head-only territory.

Dry, intense grapefruit and citrus rind dominate alongside piney resin, caramel and fleeting wisps of biscuit. This Evil Twin caries a heavy and full mouthfeel, giving way to a sweetness that almost peeks though, due in part to the high ABV, but is rather quickly slapped back into place by the immense hops.  

Curiously, this pure bitter nectar without a lot of hop heat. Instead, we have a slow sipping, palate wrecker of a brew with hints of tropic and citrus, buried in pine and pith which leaves a dessert velvet tongue in it's wake. 

While this one is obviously brewed to show the extremes of hop potential, there are some subtle complexities just out of reach. I'd be quite interested if Evil Twin ever oaked or barrel aged this one. A few additional subtlties could really fill this one out. It's a estimate to craft beer severity, but seems to lie just south of it's full potential.

Must-try for devoted hop disciples...

No comments:

Post a Comment