Saturday, December 13, 2014

#284: Ithaca Beer Co. » Sour Pi (Sour Ale)

(apologies for the blurry pic... t'was a busy night!)

Sour Pi (Sour Ale) ABV: 3.8%
Stopping in for soup & brew at Ithaca Beer's Taproom on the even of Big Day In (a day fest run by the not-for-profit I head up), I'm caught up enough to relax for a moment before jumping onto the next errand. I'd heard about Sour Pi, Ithaca's most astringent brew yet, clocking in at an apt 3.14 (get it?) pH. It's a kettle sour, fueled by Lactobacillus.

My 13oz glass is filled with a golden, glowing brew crowned with fluffy, fizzy, fading white head. Introducing itself with an intriguingly astringent note, wonderfully tart flavors follow, while retaining a surprisingly wet mouthfeel and a pleasant, crisp bite on the finish. Notes of lemon, mineral water all refreshing and damn tasty. I skipped the syrup, opting for the full acidic experience.

I'd initially planned on just the one brew, but realizing it'd been a mouth & a half since I'd visited, the always friendly and wonderful staff served up another 8 brews... (see next post!)

No comments:

Post a Comment