Tuesday, September 16, 2014

#268: Three Heads Brewing » Rye-Dye (Smoked IPA)


Three Heads Brewing » Rye-Dye (Smoked IPA)
ABV: 6.4%  Rating: 8.8

This lovely brew (one of the only 3HB I hadn't seen down my way) another gift beer I'd been eagerly anticipating since my birthday bash. After a wildly successful bottle share where one of our guests brought a homebrewed smoked IPA I just could not get over, I was on a kick and just happened to have the right follow up for the next day.

For a smoked brew, this 3HB pours up with a translucent straw body topped with lacy white head. It's grassy hop nose sets up the taste allure nicely.

On to the taste and just, WOW. Bright citrus hop flavors slam with a smoothed out mouthfeel, perfectly stoked with smoke.

Smoked beers can easily venture harsh, astringent, or overbearing in the wrong hands, but not here. Sublime balance and perfectly understated smokey notes permeate the fine hop character 3HB always brings to the table. There's a fine cheese element to it, rather than your typical campfire imagery.

Overall, a great, creative beer worth anyone's try.

No comments:

Post a Comment