Friday, January 31, 2014

#192: Evil Twin Brewing » Imperial Doughnut Break (Porter)

"...we topped it off with insane amounts of doughnuts."


The Brewery: Evil Twin Brewing (Denmark)
The Brew: Imperial Doughnut Break (Imperial Porter)
Availability: Draft and 22 oz. bottles
ABV: 11.5%
Rating: 8.8/10
Location: Home
Found: Fingerlakes Beverage Center

The Story? As soon as I heard about Imperial Doughnut Break, I knew I had to find it. While doughnut beers haven't always been homeruns (Rogue... I'm looking at you), I trust putting just about anything Evil Twin in my mouth. So, it's been on my mind, but slipped for just a second...

Last week I was into Fingerlakes Beverage, looking for some light, Belgian brews to compliment some insanely delicious mead from Texas that a friend was bringing over for movie night. I was about to cash out when I hear "Have you tried this one?".  Just in, not even a sticker price on it.  "Imperial Doughnut Break, you're coming home with me", I thought to myself.

The Beer? IDB starts off with fading, dark milk-chocolate head over a deep, dark, silky brown body. There's strong, roasted coffee notes on the nose with that distinct, earthy-wet porter aroma. Notes of milk, chocolate, vanilla extract, and just a hint of spice are tucked into the corners as well.

The first sip is a sharply bitter, with a coffee finish and a touch of heat. Quickly, the flavors sweeten, building to what you could compare to coffee-flavored cannoli cream. Not quite as sweet and sticky as I was expecting, but still quite good. The mouthfeel is silky and oily, full-bodied, but much more drinkable that most Imperials. Further through, it continues to sweeten, giving off warming, ice cream notes.

Overall, a strong, bitter & sweet cold weather beer. Recommended for Porter and dark beer lovers, but the less adventurous may want to go in halvsies considering the sticker price.

No comments:

Post a Comment