Tuesday, August 13, 2013

#042: Ithaca Beer Co. - Country Pumpkin

Pumpkin beer invasion begins...


The Brewery: Ithaca Beer Company (Ithaca, NY)
The Brew: Country Pumpkin
Availability: 6-packs & draft (seasonal)
ABV: 6.3%
Rating: 7/10
Location: Home

The Story? Truth be told, in the past I steered clear of pumpkin beers because.. well, I don't like pumpkin. By itself that is. I needed to remind myself, I'm not about to throw back a slurry of pumpkin juice. If I can put aside my aversion of peanut butter to have PB stouts become one of my favorite styles, I can easily enjoy a series of pumpkin beers.

For such a series, what better place to start than with a beer brewed right here in Ithaca, NY. Let the fall seasonals begin! Wait... isn't it still August? Hm...

The Beer? Transparent, orange-amber appearance with a quickly fading head. Very clean and light on the nose with a hint of spice. Light mouthfeel as well with a medium body. Refreshing.

This beer feels like a transition from summer to fall. Crisp and drinkable, but with a semi-dry finish. Subtle nuttiness with mild sweet pumpkin and hints of nutmeg and all spice. As with many Ithaca 12 oz. brews, the finish is a bit minerally.

Overall, a subtle, straightforward take on the popular fall style. What are your favorite pumpkin beers?

No comments:

Post a Comment