Tuesday, July 15, 2014

#246: Dark Horse Brewing Co. » Double Crooked Tree (IPA)



Dark Horse Brewing Co. » Double Crooked Tree (IPA)
ABV: 12% | Rating: 9.3

Aptly names, this DIPA is a double version of Dark Horse's Crooked Tree offering. Only my third Dark Horse, having nearly missed Smell Like A Safety Meeting, I've jumped on to make sure I get a bit broader view of their offerings.

Double Crooked Tree pours up with a deep, amber body and thick, staying, head of lace. The nose is impeccable - sweet raisin, cane sugar, caramel, coconut... a damn fine and potent collection of aromas.

Down the hatch it's barelywine characteristics up front quickly followed by a chili-hot DIPA - WOW. There's tons of hop heat on the finish here.

A sipper of a beer for sure. Rich, buttery mouthfeel, complex and huge the whole way through with charcoal notes in the finish; all wrapped up spicy and dry.

Overall, a heck of an IPA that holds its own amongst the big-ABV IPAs and recommended for the big-beer fans.

After some time between my first Dark Horse and these last two, I've surely discovered what all the buzz is about. I personally was a bit more struck with the unique palate of Smells Like A Safety Meeting, but my bet sees this DCT as a more widely-cheered brew.

No comments:

Post a Comment