Friday, April 11, 2014

#221: Brewery Ommegang » Adoration Ale (Belgian Strong Ale)

Winter cherishing...


The Brewery: Brewery Ommegang (Cooperstown, NY)
The Brew:  Adoration Ale (Belgian Strong Ale)
Availability:  Bottles, draft (Seasonal, Limited)
ABV: 10.0%
Rating: 9.2/10
Location: Home
Found: Fingerlakes Beverage Center

Looks like this one got a write-up this winter, but never made it to the blog. I was on a single-bottle kick early in the winter, wanting to pack as much various flavors into our limited space as possible (now no longer an issue with the a dedicated beer fridge!).

While Ommegang has become a pinnacle of Upstate New York brewing, I can be a bit hot / cold with their releases. I either love them or am underwhelmed. I recalled enjoying Adoration from a case a group of friends picked up for me a few years back, but hadn't seen the limited ale in a while, so I snagged a bottle to see if my palate still concurred.

Adoration starts off with a malty, spiced nose with hints of juicy orange. A deep amber body topped with fizzy, off-white head adds to the dignified setting.

The taste is beautiful and elegant - not too carbonated, perfectly malty, backed by a wonderful blend of spices. Smooth orange and tangerine flavors are augmented amidst a plethora of spices - mace, coriander, grains of paridice. It's sweet, a little sticky, and fairly wet. I'd love to see how this one ages.

Overall, a fantastic winter alternative to the tired all-spiced ales, that is beautifully boozy and smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment